Didn’t have sex for weeks or months?
Worried that it can affect your relationship negatively?
From an emotional viewpoint, sex is often considered a crucial ingredient for building intimacy in any relationship. But, if you don’t feel like having it or it isn’t possible to have it for some reason, you need to know how long is too long without sex in a relationship.
So, whether you’re looking to understand how long can a man go without having sex or how long can a woman stay without sex, this blog will help you get the answer and improve your relationship.
Table of Contents
How Much Sex Should You Be Having?
First things first: Sex isn’t a number game. But, if you want to know:
A survey published in 2017 found that an average adult had sex 54 times per year (that implies once a week).
Still, you shouldn’t aim at achieving or sticking to this number. If you’re happy with the number of times you’re having sex, you don’t need to read further.
Reasons For Lack of Sex In a Relationship
You may not be sexually active with your partner due to any reason. However, the most common reasons for lack of sex in any relationship are:
- Lack of trust or fear of betrayal
- Struggles with self-image or low self-esteem.
- Stress or feeling worn out.
- Mental health issues.
- Sexual abuse in the past.
- Issues within the relationship, such as lack of trust.
- Pregnancy or the arrival of a newborn.
- Decreased sexual desire or differing levels of sexual interest between partners.
- Staying too far from each other or inability to spend some time in person due to hectic schedules.
- Sexual complications, like erectile dysfunction, effects of menopause, or experiencing pain during sex (dyspareunia).
- Other medical issues.
Now, let’s dive deeper into the question by answering how long can a man stay without sex and how long can a woman stay without sex separately.
How Long Can a Man Go Without Having Sex?
- Biologically, men can go indefinitely without sex.
- Physically, there’s no set timeframe after which health problems begin to occur if a man is not sexually active.
- However, mentally and emotionally, the answer varies drastically based on individual needs, relationship dynamics, and societal expectations.
How Long Can a Woman Stay Without Sex?
- Similar to men, women don’t face any immediate physical health risks from not having sex.
- However, the emotional implications can be complicated.
- Sex is a crucial aspect of emotional intimacy for many people, and its absence can create feelings of rejection, self-doubt, and decrease overall relationship satisfaction.
Also Read: How Long Can a Woman Stay Without a Man?
No Sex for Six Months In a Relationship: Is It Normal?
If you haven’t had sex for six months straight, you might want to know if it’s okay to have no sex for six months in a relationship.
It’s essential to understand that ‘normal’ differs greatly for each couple. Some couples might be entirely comfortable with this, while others could find it quite distressing.
The key is to maintain an open communication with your partner to ensure that both you and your partner are satisfied with their sexual relationship, or lack thereof.
The Impact of a Lack of Sex In a Relationship
The lack of sex in a relationship can be a cause of underlying issues, such as a lack of communication, decreasing emotional intimacy, or health problems. However, it can also be a personal choice.
If both you and your partner are happy and satisfied, the frequency of sex becomes a non-issue. However, if any or both of you feel unfulfilled or unsatisfied, this might indicate a deeper problem that needs addressing.
In that case, it can affect your emotional relationship with your partner, cause conflicts and harm your relationship. So, you need to talk it out.
Can a Relationship Survive Without Sex?
Wondering, “Can a relationship survive without sex”? The answer is yes, it can.
Intimacy is a multifaceted concept, and if you can find fulfillment in your sexual needs through alternative means, or perhaps you lack sexual desire altogether, it’s perfectly okay.
Love relationships are diverse and unique, and if you happen to be non-sexual, they could be just as successful and fulfilling as those that involve regular sexual activity.
However, it requires mutual understanding, consent, and communication. If one partner desires sex and the other doesn’t, conflicts can arise, potentially harming the relationship.
It’s essential to look at the larger context and understand that being intimate doesn’t mean just having sex.
It is a problem if you stop having sex suddenly without having clear communication with your partner as it can cause one partner to have self-doubts, cause conflicts, or harm the relationship.
Therefore, while a relationship can survive without sex, it’s essential that both partners are on the same page about this issue.
How Long Can a Woman Stay Without a Man?
Shifting gears a little, if you’re a woman, you might also be wondering, “How long can a woman stay without a man”? This question generally pertains more to emotional and social needs rather than a specific necessity for sex.
Many women (and men) can happily remain single for extended periods or even their entire lives, proving that a partner is not a prerequisite for happiness or fulfillment.
However, some women might find it difficult to stay without a man in their lives as they may crave that “one guy” with whom they can share everything, go wherever they want, eat out, engage in sexual activities, or build a family.
So, how long is too long without sex in a relationship? Ultimately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Every individual and relationship is unique, and the ‘right’ amount of sex depends on mutual needs and satisfaction within the relationship.
If you’re starting to think that it’s been a while since you and your partner had sex, why not sit down and have a chat about it? It’s all about sharing how you’re feeling and figuring out how you both can look out for one another’s needs.
- What Kills Long-distance Relationships and How to Save it - September 8, 2023
- What Are You Looking for in a Relationship: 11 Answers - September 6, 2023
- Is It OK to Have Sex Without a Relationship? - June 8, 2023